Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
2020 Census Highlights
Highlights of the 2020 Census
- 24th decennial census
- US population: 331,449,281
- The resident population increased by 22,703,743 or 7.4% from 308,745,538 in 2010.
- Illinois population: 12,822,739
- Illinois will have 17 Representatives in the U.S. House of Representatives, which is 1 less than allocated by the 2010 Census.
- Redistricting in the states will occur 2021-22; Elections using the new Congressional district boundaries will be held Fall 2022; The 118th Congress members will be sworn in January 2023 (2023-24).
- Conducted during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Census 2020: Conducting the Count
Census 2020: Data Releases
2020 Redistricting Data, Easier-to-Use Format
Released Sept 16, 2021.
The data in this release is identical to the August 12, 2021 release, but is integrated into the Census Bureau data portal at data.census.gov making it easier-to-use. Guidance for 2020 Redistricting Data Users
2020 Census Redistricting Data
Released August 12, 2021
Summary Files provided for download from FTP site. Links to technical documentation and geographic products are linked with answers to common questions provided at the bottom of the page. The same data in easier-to-use formats will be made available by September 30, 2021 at data.census.gov
2020 Apportionment Results
Released April 26, 2021
Descriptive data overview in the press release provided in English
and in Spanish
A Preliminary Analysis of U.S. and State-Level Results From the 2020 Census
This report addresses the quality of the 2020 Census from two methods: (1) analyses that compare the first census results to other ways of measuring the population, and (2) metrics that provide insight into the census operations.
Answers to many questions about Apportionment such as what it is, its legal basis, how it is calculated, and historical data on how it has changed 1910-2020.
2020 Census Maps & Graphics