It's easy to gain access to Music Special Collections. With just a few simple steps, you could examine the John Cage manuscripts, scores with Fritz Reiner's conductor markings and much more.
1. Explore the Manuscript and Archive Collections and/or the General Manuscript Collection (call number range 'MSS').
2. If you're interested in a manuscript or archive collection, take note of the collection name, box and folder numbers.
3. If you're interested in an item(s) from the General Manuscript Collection, take note of the call number.
4. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment to view the materials (usually) within one to two business days.
5. Have questions about the materials, or a specific collection, email Greg MacAyeal (Curator, Music Library).
The Music Library offers the use of an audio cart that includes LP, cassette and CD playback, as well as options to transfer files into an MP3 format.
The audio cart may be reserved for use up to four hours. Please email us at email@example.com to request an appointment to use the cart.
For further information please refer to the how-to guide regarding the Music Library's audio cart (https://libguides.northwestern.edu/musicaudioplayback).
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17 U.S. Code) governs the making of audio reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this equipment is liable for any infringement.