Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Style Guides by Subject
Some disciplines have their own guides to research and writing. In NUsearch search for a discipline and "style manuals," for example: psychology style manuals. To expand into research guides use the phrase "research handbooks," for example: sociology research handbooks or history research handbooks.
Use Advance search and the Subject search option.
EndNote is a software program designed to store and manipulate bibliographic information. With EndNote you can:
- store references in one place
- keep reading notes linked to sources
- download citations directly from databases
- automatically format bibliographies and citations in MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, or over 1000 other style
Zotero is a free bibliographic manager that is usable with the Firefox web browser, or, is now available in a standalone version that allows you to use Zotero with other web browsers. With Zotero you can:
- Store references in one place
- Keep reading notes linked to sources
- Download citations directly from databases
- Automatically format bibliographies and citations in MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, and many other styles using Microsoft Word and Open Office
- Access your Zotero library from any location and remotely back up and sync your library
APA: American Psychological Association
MLA Style Guide
THE MLA STYLE MANUAL, recommended for graduate students, 3rd edition, 808.02 A179m 2008, and THE MLA HANDBOOK, 8th edition, LB2369.M52 2016 are available in the Libraries (ask at the desk).
MLA 2009 Formatting and Style Guide
This resource, part of The Owl, created at Purdue University, is updated to reflect the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (7th ed.). It offers examples for the general format of MLA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the Works Cited page.
KnightCite Citation Service
Create a citation in MLA format on the fly. A project of Calvin College's Hekman Library.
MLA Style Guide Citation Examples from Northern Michigan University
This Guide is based on the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing, 6th edition. It includes some of the more common examples for citing references in a list of works cited or bibliography.
National Library of Medicine