Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Data Management Plans
What is a Data Management Plan?
Data Management Plans (DMP's) outline what a researcher is going to do with their data during and after the research is concluded. DMP's should include a description of:
- the types of data that will be created
- the standards and metadata that will be used with the data
- how these data will be accessed and shared
- policies and provisions for the reuse of the data
- plans for the long term archiving of the data
DMPTool home page
The DMPTool helps researchers create data management plans for specific funding agencies. Simply click on the "Get Started" button from the DMPTool homepage.You will be taken to the NU Online Passport page. Enter your Northwestern Net ID and password. Click on create plan, choose the granting agency from the drop down menu and begin building your DMP by answering the questions on each page. You can save and edit the plan.