Students and temps. do not receive benefits such as sick or vacation leave. Employers should offer student employees a minimum thirty-minute lunch/dinner break if scheduled for six or more hours.
Breaks & Lunch
- If student /temp is working for 6 hours a fifteen minute break is given.
- If they work over 6 hours they get 2 fifteen minutes breaks and a lunch of at least 30 minutes or no more than one hour
- are unpaid and range from a minimum of 30 minutes to a maximum of one hour in a work period of 7½ hours or more,
- a meal period of at least 30 minutes must be provided before the end of 5 hours of work.
- certain employees who are required to remain on duty or on call through the lunch period, the lunch period is part of the paid work shift.
- In work situations where employees are free to move about and visit restrooms from time to time, formal rest periods are unnecessary
- However, full-time employees who are substantially bound to one work site and to continuous tasks without freedom to move should have a specific rest break each half day.
- Under similar working conditions, part-time employees who work at least four but less than seven hours per day are eligible for one such rest break per day.
- Rest periods do not exceed 15 minutes and may not be accumulated or used to shorten the beginning or ending of a workday.
- Rest breaks are scheduled at the discretion of the supervisor.